The Fly Leaning Bridge Posts Issue

Discussions of every Fly in every variation including Deluxe, Classic, Mojo, Artist, Supreme, Stealth, Concert/Bronze, and custom Flys
vjmanzo
Site Admin

The Fly Leaning Bridge Posts Issue

Post by vjmanzo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 am

Reposting a helpful guide articulated wonderfully by @billy for an uncommon but troublesome issue:

As with any instrument, there are issues an owner may experience. Some issues that Parker Fly owners may experience are unique to the fly. This means most traditional resources available for repair will not be able to help. Almost all fly issues have a fix, but the leaning post issue, its resolutions, and the relevant physical parts are poorly described and documented.

The situation has led to much confusion and frustration on the Parker Forums. This information is an attempt to help resolve that confusion and get you back to enjoying your parker fly. Much of the instructional text is based on a post made by a forum member known as Shepherd. Thanks Shep!
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01, Fly Nylon '99, Fly Stealth '01 info

billy
Fly Veteran

Re: The Fly Leaning Bridge Posts Issue

Post by billy » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks for the kind words VJ!

Hope it helps and if anyone has questions, ask away.
Billy

Spruce spruce and CF forever...

Xrocker

Post by Xrocker » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:12 pm

I just repaired my DF824 with the aluminum can method.

Had a very strange issue. I had one post that was smaller in diameter than the other one. Definite quality control problem after Ken Parker sold his company.

One post fit tightly in either post hole. The other one wobbled around in both post holes.

Luckily I just happened to have an empty Coors can laying around. (What are the odds?)

Wrapped the small post almost all the way around with aluminum and even did about a half inch piece around the tight one since I already had it disassembled.

Wow what a difference. I could never truly bond with this guitar. Besides it going out of tune, it just never felt as alive as my 95 Fly.

It does now. No more tuning problems and the tone is just spectacular now. It’s alive and resonant like it has never been before.

Just dropped some Lawler pickups in it and the tones I’m getting are giving me goosebumps.

Thank you for the tip. It’s like I have a brand new guitar.

vjmanzo
Site Admin

Post by vjmanzo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Very strange that you had two posts that were different, but I think standards did slip for certain things like that as you mentioned. Sounds like an excellent fix! Would love to see a pic if you happened to have taken one while it was in surgery at the Coors Institute for Guitar Repair :P

Would also love to hear those Lawler pickups too if you have the time; maybe post a demo in the video/audio section?
Fly Mojo '05, Fly Deluxe '07 w/Sustainiac, Fly Mojo '08 w/Sustainiac, Fly Concert '97, Fly Classic '03, Fly Deluxe '97, Fly Artist '10, Fly Deluxe Redwood '93, Fly Bass FB-4 '03, NiteFly NFV3 '97, Fly Mojo 12-string ‘11, Fly Concert ' 98, Fly Maple Custom '01, Fly Nylon '99, Fly Stealth '01 info

Xrocker

Post by Xrocker » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:43 pm

I’ve got a Halloween show this weekend and I’ll post some videos using said fixes guitar.